Friday 7 June 2013

Our Country is a Garden

Late spring is my very favourite time of year in the village. The grass verges are full of wild flowers, the hay hasn't yet been cut and the fields are covered with the yellow sheen of buttercups or spotted white with daisies and the cherry blossom and chestnut candles adorn the village trees.

What a contrast from the winter when we had drifts six feet high. I watched a wren this morning as it flicked it's tail jerkily up and down before flying away. The magpies are stil chack chack chacking in the village and tonight I stopped to watch this little chap (well chapess really) who flew into the hedge to be followed shortly by her black mate.


The Valerian is coming into bloom. It grows like a weed in our village as it likes the sea air but it sprouts out of walls, out of cracks in the path and a bit like buddleia it can take over if you don;t keep it under control.

I find that no matter how many times I walk round the village I always see something different. Tonight it was this plant growing out the dry stone wall.

I haven't a clue what it is but I've been introduced by a wonderful fellow home educator to a Facebook page called The Nature Table where people can  post their photographs and ask for help in identifying plants and animals and I'm hoping someone can help.


It's rhododendron time too....


We have several in our garden


but this is my definite favourite...


To finish I'll leave you with a few photos of our grass verges with their blue bells


frothy cow parsley


speedwell and Red campion. Beauty on our doorstep.We surely have a lot to be thankful for.




No comments:

Post a Comment